- Rajasthan with its 57.7 mn livestock population ranks second in the country and shares more than 11% of India's total livestock population.
- The state ranks first in the country with 16% share in the total goat population of India.
- All livestock animals have shown double digit growth over the past 5 years in the state.
- The poultry population in the state has increased by over 60% over the previous census with total poultry population in the state being 80.24 mn in 2012.
- One of the initiatives of the Department of Animal Husbandry has been the development of high producing strains of layer stock in the state.
- Pratap Dhan, a new breed of poultry has been developed in Rajasthan. It produces 4 times the eggs of the indigenous breeds. Kadaknath is another popular indigenous breed.
- Such development programs and trainings have helped breeders record high growth.